Re: Linux 2.6.21-rc1

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 14:18:26 EST

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:23 -0800, Daniel Walker wrote:
> Right, but eventually there isn't a regular timer interrupt through the
> io-apic. I don't think in the past IRQ0 stops without the system
> crashing, so check_timer() could assume the timer (IRQ0) is _always_
> regular.
>
> do you know what the requirement are for routing the NMI through the
> io-apic?

Sorry. I checked. switching PIT off really breaks nmi_watchdog=1, as
this just mirrors IRQ#0 to the NMI. No IRQ#0 from PIT, no NMI

We could keep PIT running with an empty interrupt handler when
nmi_watchdog=1 is set, but this interferes nicely with broadcasting.

Does nmi_watchdog=2 work ? We might switch to that, when a local APIC is
available.

tglx