Re: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 10:00:46 EST

Hi Luca,

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:33:56 +0100, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
> Motherboard vendors usually provide tools for $(TheOtherOS) that can
> read from all thermal / fan / voltage / whatever sensors, so I guess
> it's possible to make the ACPI driver and the "raw" one play nice with
> each other[1].
>
> Luca
> [1] Unless their solution is "poke at the hardware and hope that ACPI
> doesn't blow up", that is.

Without the sources it's hard to tell. And all these applications are
vendor-specific, so if they indeed have ways to avoid conflicting
accesses between ACPI and the rest of the system, these ways are likely
to be vendor-specific as well, and not documented.

Either way, this means we need the support from hardware vendors to
solve this concurrent access problem, and unfortunately I doubt this
happens anytime soon :(

--
Jean Delvare