Re: libata FUA revisited

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 09:07:35 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Aside from the issue above, as I mentioned elsewhere, lots of NCQ drives
don't support non-NCQ FUA writes..

To me, using the NCQ FUA bit on such drives doesn't seem to be a good
idea. Maybe I'm just too chicken but it's not like we can gain a lot
from doing FUA at this point. Are there a lot of drives which support
NCQ but not FUA opcodes?

Well, it's hard to say whether "lots" have this issue, but the ones I have in my machine, Seagate 7200.7 NCQ 160GB (ST3160827AS) and 7200.10 320GB (ST3320620AS), both support NCQ and don't support non-NCQ FUA, and those (especially the latter) seem to be very popular models.

Likely Seagate didn't implement that command since they figured nobody would use that if they had NCQ..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx