Re: 2.6.13.4 - "lockd: weird return 1 for CANCEL call"

From: Neil Brown
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 06:25:55 EST

On Wednesday February 21, jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just got a unusual message from lockd on a webserver running a
> custom compiled 2.6.13.4 (yes it is ancient, I know).
>
> # uname -a
> Linux webserv.somedomain.example 2.6.13.4 #1 SMP Wed Nov 16 10:03:05
> CET 2005 i686 unknown
>
> # dmesg | tail -n 3
> do_vfs_lock: VFS is out of sync with lock manager!
> lockd: weird return 1 for CANCEL call
> lockd: weird return 1 for CANCEL call
>
> The server seems to be running fine, so I'm not really worried, but I
> thought maybe someone would like to know. :-)

Thanks.
Don't be worried. They are both warning about perfectly acceptable
(though uncommon) behaviour. These warnings have since been removed.

A process was interrupted while trying to get a lock, so the NFS
client didn't know if it actually had the lock or not.
When the process exited, the tried to cancel the lock just to be on
the safe side and was told that it didn't own any such lock.

NeilBrown