Re: no backlight on radeon after recent kernel "upgrade"s

From: Yaroslav Halchenko
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 00:57:26 EST

I am sorry on the delay

> > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:46:16 -0500 Yaroslav Halchenko <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Since the most recent successful for me kernel 2.6.19-rc6-mm1, I've
> > > tried few times to build more recent snapshots and now finally
> > > 2.6.20-mm2. In all those cases I have a sad outcome -- kernel boots but
> > Is 2.6.20 broken? I assume the latest 2.6.20-gitN snapshot are failing..
-mm's have been failing since some time after .19-rc6-mm1. I believe
I've tried 2.6.19-mm? with the same luck

> It would be extremely useful to know which kernel versions you tested
> and which ones failed. There are a number of backlight changes which are
> just in 2.6.20-mm1 and -mm2 which it would be useful to rule out or
> identify as the cause.
I didn't mention 2.6.20-mm1 and got to see -mm2 so it is the one which
Iv'e tried, but, once again, I experienced the same issue with 19-mm?
kernels.

I built 2.6.20-mm2 without backlight support
$> grep BACKLIGH /boot/config-2.6.20-mm2
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA_BACKLIGHT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_BACKLIGHT is not set

that "eliminated" the problem. Also I can see the screen with pure
2.6.20 with backlight support (whatever it does since after

*$> grep BACKLIGH /boot/config-2.6.20
# CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=m
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_DEVICE=y

> Also, do you normally see files under /sys/class/lcd?
nope... after I load lcd module, no files under :-/ regardless either it
is mm or not. But there are files under /sys/class/backlight/ for mm2
compiled with backlight support (whenever the screen is dark as per my
original email)

--
.-.