Re: slab: start_cpu_timer/cache_reap CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU problems

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 13:46:21 EST

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Max Krasnyansky wrote:

> > > Well seems that we have a set of unresolved issues with workqueues and cpu
> > > hotplug.
>
> How about storing 'cpu' explicitly in the work queue instead of relying on the
> smp_processor_id() and friends ? That way there is no ambiguity when
> threads/timers get
> moved around.

The slab functionality is designed to work on the processor with the
queue. These tricks will only cause more trouble in the future. The
cache_reaper needs to be either disabled or run on the right processor. It
should never run on the wrong processor.

The cache_reaper() is of no importance to hotplug. You just need to make
sure that it is not in the way (disable it and if its running wait
until the cache_reaper has finished).