Re: libata FUA revisited

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 14:46:49 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
But we can't really change that, since you need the cache flushed before
issuing the FUA write. I've been advocating for an ordered bit for
years, so that we could just do:

3. w/FUA+ORDERED

normal operation -> barrier issued -> write barrier FUA+ORDERED
-> normal operation resumes

So we don't have to serialize everything both at the block and device
level. I would have made FUA imply this already, but apparently it's not
what MS wanted FUA for, so... The current implementations take the FUA
bit (or WRITE FUA) as a hint to boost it to head of queue, so you are
almost certainly going to jump ahead of already queued writes. Which we
of course really do not.

I think that FUA was designed for a different use case than what Linux is using barriers for currently. The advantage with FUA is when you have "before barrier", "after barrier" and "don't care" sets, where only the specific things you care about ordering are in the before/after barrier sets. Then you can do this:

Issue all before barrier requests with FUA bit set
Wait for all those to complete
Issue all after barrier requests with FUA bit set
Wait for all those to complete

Meanwhile a bunch of "don't care" requests could be going through on the device in the background. If we could do this, then I think there would be an advantage. Right now, it just saves a command to the drive when we're flushing on the post-barrier writes.

This would only be efficient with NCQ FUA, because regular FUA forces the requests to complete serially, whereas in this case we don't really care what order the individual requests finish, we just care about the ordering of the pre vs. post barrier requests.

I'm not too nervous about the FUA write commands, I hope we can safely
assume that if you set the FUA supported bit in the id AND the write fua
command doesn't get aborted, that FUA must work. Anything else would
just be an immensely stupid implementation. NCQ+FUA is more tricky, I
agree that it being just a command bit does make it more likely that it
could be ignored. And that is indeed a danger. Given state of NCQ in
early firmware drives, I would not at all be surprised if the drive
vendors screwed that up too.

But, since we don't have the ordered bit for NCQ/FUA anyway, we do need
to drain the drive queue before issuing the WRITE/FUA. And at that point
we may as well not use the NCQ command, just go for the regular non-NCQ
FUA write. I think that should be safe.

Aside from the issue above, as I mentioned elsewhere, lots of NCQ drives don't support non-NCQ FUA writes..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx