Re: somebody dropped a (warning) bomb

From: Sergei Organov
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 06:59:55 EST

Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
[...]
> Given char's special nature, shouldn't the conclusion of this thread
> have long been simply that gcc needs -Wno-char-pointer-sign? (with
> whatever default, as far as I'm concerned).

I entirely agree that all the char business in C is messy enough to
justify separate warning switch(es) in GCC.

However, I still insist that the problem with the code:

void foo(char *c);
unsigned char *u;
signed char *s;
foo(u);
foo(s);

is not (only) in signedness, as neither 'u' nor 's' has compatible type
with the "char*", no matter what is the sign of "char", so if one cares
about type safety he needs warnings on both invocations of foo().

-- Sergei.