Re: [Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH] CELL Oprofile SPU profiling updatedpatch

From: Maynard Johnson
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 18:19:24 EST

Maynard Johnson wrote:

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

On Friday 16 February 2007 01:32, Maynard Johnson wrote:

config OPROFILE_CELL
bool "OProfile for Cell Broadband Engine"
depends on OPROFILE && SPU_FS
default y if ((SPU_FS = y && OPROFILE = y) || (SPU_FS = m && OPROFILE = m))
help
Profiling of Cell BE SPUs requires special support enabled
by this option. Both SPU_FS and OPROFILE options must be
set 'y' or both be set 'm'.
=============

Can anyone see a problem with any of this . . . or perhaps a suggestion of a better way?

The text suggests it doesn't allow SPU_FS=y with OPROFILE=m, which I think
should be allowed.

Right, good catch. I'll add another OR to the 'default y' and correct the text.

Actually, it makes more sense to do the following:

config OPROFILE_CELL
bool "OProfile for Cell Broadband Engine"
depends on (SPU_FS = y && OPROFILE = m) || (SPU_FS = y && OPROFILE = y) || (SPU_FS = m && OPROFILE = m)
default y
help
Profiling of Cell BE SPUs requires special support enabled by this option.

> I also don't see any place in the code where you actually

use CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL.

As I mentioned, I will use CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL in the arch/powerpc/oprofile/Makefile as follows:
oprofile-$(CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL) += op_model_cell.o \
cell/spu_profiler.o cell/vma_map.o cell/spu_task_sync.o

[snip]

Arnd <><