Re: [ANNOUNCE] DualFS: File System with Meta-data and Data Separation

From: JÃrn Engel
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 07:50:45 EST

Maybe this is a decent approach to deal with the problem. First some
definitions. T is the target segment to be cleaned, S is the spare
segment that valid data is written to, O are other segments that contain
indirect blocks I for valid data D in T.

Have two different GC mechanisms to choose between:
1. Regular GC that copies D and I into S. On average D+I should require
less space than S can offer.
2. Slow GC only copies D into S. Indirect blocks get modified in-place
in O. This variant requires more seeks due to writing in various O,
but it guarantees that D always requires less space than S can offer.

Whenever you are running out of spare segments and are in danger of the
deadlock, switch to mechanism 2. Now your correctness problem is
reduced to a performance problem.

JÃrn

--
To recognize individual spam features you have to try to get into the
mind of the spammer, and frankly I want to spend as little time inside