Re: [ck] Re: 2.6.20-ck1

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 01:06:06 EST

On Sunday 18 February 2007 13:38, Con Kolivas wrote:
> mdew . writes:
> > On 2/16/07, Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> This patchset is designed to improve system responsiveness and
> >> interactivity. It is configurable to any workload but the default -ck
> >> patch is aimed at the desktop and -cks is available with more emphasis
> >> on serverspace.
> >>
> >> Apply to 2.6.20
> >
> > any benchmarks for 2.6.20-ck vs 2.6.20?
>
> Would some -ck user on the mailing list like to perform a set of interbench
> benchmarks? They're pretty straight forward to do; see:
>
> http://interbench.kolivas.org

I couldn't take down any lower power machine for these benchmarks... A lower
power single cpu machine would be better for this. Feel free to throw any
other benchmarks at it.

This core2 duo 2.4 GHz with 2GB ram and 7200 rpm 16MB cache hard drive is not
too discrimanatory, but here are the results (use fixed font to see):

Using 2392573 loops per ms, running every load for 30 seconds
Benchmarking kernel 2.6.20 at datestamp 200702181608

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Audio in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0.002 +/- 0.00329 0.006 100 100
Video 0.002 +/- 0.00356 0.01 100 100
X 0.007 +/- 0.0819 2 100 100
Burn 0.002 +/- 0.00335 0.005 100 100
Write 0.105 +/- 1.55 35.5 100 100
Read 0.006 +/- 0.00707 0.014 100 100
Compile 0.312 +/- 5.61 135 99.8 99.8
Memload 0.01 +/- 0.037 0.72 100 100

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Video in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0.004 +/- 0.00431 0.017 100 100
X 0.006 +/- 0.00608 0.013 100 100
Burn 0.003 +/- 0.00392 0.012 100 100
Write 0.097 +/- 3.44 144 99.8 99.8
Read 0.005 +/- 0.00523 0.013 100 100
Compile 0.059 +/- 1.2 36.7 99.8 99.8
Memload 0.01 +/- 0.0767 1.85 100 100

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of X in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0.056 +/- 0.379 3 98.4 96.7
Video 0.033 +/- 0.258 2 98.7 97.7
Burn 0 +/- 0 0 100 100
Write 0.051 +/- 0.67 11.2 99.3 99
Read 0.053 +/- 0.384 3 98 96.7
Compile 0.139 +/- 2.29 39 99 98.6
Memload 0.166 +/- 2.25 39 98.1 97.1

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Gaming in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU
None 0.551 +/- 0.553 0.665 99.5
Video 0.594 +/- 0.596 0.656 99.4
X 0.019 +/- 0.317 5.49 100
Burn 179 +/- 186 193 35.9
Write 1.16 +/- 5.87 69.2 98.9
Read 0.876 +/- 0.884 1.31 99.1
Compile 193 +/- 209 499 34.1
Memload 1.11 +/- 1.59 15.3 98.9

Using 2392573 loops per ms, running every load for 30 seconds
Benchmarking kernel 2.6.20-ck1 at datestamp 200702181542

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Audio in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0.002 +/- 0.00333 0.005 100 100
Video 0.004 +/- 0.0309 0.717 100 100
X 0.008 +/- 0.124 2.99 100 100
Burn 0.002 +/- 0.00339 0.005 100 100
Write 0.03 +/- 0.228 2.99 100 100
Read 0.005 +/- 0.00636 0.017 100 100
Compile 0.041 +/- 0.268 3.06 100 100
Memload 0.31 +/- 4.83 6.3 100 100

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Video in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0.003 +/- 0.00383 0.014 100 100
X 0.008 +/- 0.143 5.99 100 100
Burn 0.003 +/- 0.00383 0.009 100 100
Write 0.023 +/- 0.219 4.57 100 100
Read 0.004 +/- 0.0047 0.017 100 100
Compile 0.027 +/- 0.214 3.73 100 100
Memload 0.015 +/- 0.113 3 100 100

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of X in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU % Deadlines Met
None 0 +/- 0.000351 0.006 100 100
Video 0 +/- 0 0 100 100
Burn 0 +/- 0.000293 0.005 100 100
Write 0 +/- 5.85e-05 0.001 100 100
Read 0.003 +/- 0.0585 1 100 99.7
Compile 0.15 +/- 1.09 14 97.3 95.6
Memload 0 +/- 0.00105 0.018 100 100

--- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Gaming in the presence of simulated ---
Load Latency +/- SD (ms) Max Latency % Desired CPU
None 0 +/- 0 0 100
Video 0.006 +/- 0.115 1.99 100
X 0 +/- 0.00283 0.049 100
Burn 187 +/- 225 270 34.8