Re: [patch 05/11] syslets: core code

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 05:02:36 EST

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 11:20:36PM +0300, Cyrill V. Gorcunov (gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 07:58:54PM +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> | Absolutely.
> | And if overall system design is good, there is no problem to change
> | (well, for those who fail to read to the end and understand my english
> | replace 'to change' with 'to create and commit') interface to the state
> | where it will satisfy all (majority of) users.
> |
> | Situations when system is designed from interface down to system ends up
> | with one thread per IO and huge limitations on how system is going to be
> | used at all.
> |
> | --
> | Evgeniy Polyakov
>
> I'm sorry for meddling in conversation but I think Linus misunderstood
> you. If I'm right you propose to "create and commit" _new_ interfaces
> only? I mean _changing_ of interfaces exported to user space is
> very painfull... for further support. Don't swear at me if I wrote
> something stupid ;)

Yes, I only proposed to change what Ingo has right now - although it is
usable, but it does suck, but since overall syslet design is indeed good
it does not suffer from possible interface changes - so I said that it
can be trivially changed in that regard that until it is committed
anything can be done to extend it.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov