Re: [pp] kbuild: asm-offsets generalized

From: Oleg Verych
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 00:25:29 EST

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 03:43:49PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 22:56 +0100, Oleg Verych wrote:
> > Hallo.
>
> lguest parts look good though!

Thanks.

Well, then what about my way of doing generalization?

I.e. one-file shell script-let, rather many indistinguishable GNU make
files throughout source tree?

Sam's approach also offers using of CONGIG* options. But this has two
issues (for me, of course):

* lguest is in i386 arch, *top* Kbuild doing this for specific ARCH
(include/asm/);

* lguest wants to have private for-asm constants generated, unless CONFIG
is set, kbuild never will reach that directory.

Finally (my favorite). While i was told, that i'm doing more obfusticated
solutions, i doubt i did now: script-let makes magic more readable, and
GNU make's complications, like `$$' and various whitespace issues, do not
influence.

One thing is, that

+quiet_cmd_offsets = GEN $@
+ cmd_offsets = $(srctree)/scripts/mkCconstants $< $@
+

can be moved in Kbuild.include with CONFIG* upgrade:
sed-$(CONFIG_MIPS) = mips
cmd_offsets = $(srctree)/scripts/mkCconstants $< $@ $(sed-y)

Kind regards!
--