Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN configoptions and disable unsupported config options.

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 23:05:51 EST

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 02:19 -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Doesn't stop_machine_run already take care of getting you out of all
> kernel threads? So you can only be sleeping, not preempted, in which
> case, this might not be an issue?

No, stop_machine only protects against preempt-disabled regions.

I thought about making that particularly hammer bigger, but noone had
needed it yet. It would simply require a runtime way of disabling
further preemption and flushing preempted threads (AFAICT there can be
no deadlock issues with this).

Rusty.