Re: [patch 07/21] Xen-paravirt: remove ctor for pgd cache

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 15:33:28 EST

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> Remove the ctor for the pgd cache. There's no point in having the
> cache machinery do this via an indirect call when all pgd are freed in
> the one place anyway.

Great. We finally get rid of this evil .....

On second throughts:

Are you sure that you understand what you are modifying? The ctor is not
called when you allocate an object but when the slab allocates it. Freeing
an object does not make the slab free it. It will hold it for the next
kmalloc. So you may just have reduced performance somewhat by addiung
additional ctor processing and possibly disturbed the preservation of
cache hot pgds.