Re: Clock running at half speed in 2.6.20?

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 11:27:17 EST

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 22:28 +0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> My system clock runs at approximately half speed in
> linux-2.6.20, 2.6.20-git10 and 2.6.20-git11. That is, it takes about
> two hours for "date" to report that one hour has elapsed. "hwclock"
> returns the correct time, of course.
>
> I do not have this problem in linuux 2.6.18.1. I will try to
> narrow down the kernel version where this problem began.
>
> The motherboard in question is an asus p4v8000-x, running a
> 2.8GHz Pentium 4 that has two hyperthreads, which I suspect may be the
> problem. I am just guessing, but perhaps some piece of code thinks
> the two hyperthreads are separate CPU's receving twice as many clock
> interrupts total. I expect to try to some experimentation to check
> this theory.
>
> For what it's worth, I am running CONFIG_PREEMPT=y,
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y, CONFIG_HZ=1000.

if you run,

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

it will tell you which hardware clock is being used by the kernel. You
can also run,

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

which will tell you which clocks are available on your system. You
switch clocks by echoing the name of a clock into "current_clocksource"

As an example, the following switches to the acpi_pm clocksource,

echo "acpi_pm"> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

The hardware clock that your using could be running to slow. I would
recommend switching the hardware clock and re-check if the time is still
half speed.

Daniel