Re: [RFC] killing the NR_IRQS arrays.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 07:44:28 EST

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I propose we remove all assumptions from the code that we actually
> have an array of irqs. That will allow for irq_desc to be dynamically
> allocated instead of statically allocated saving memory and reducing
> kernel complexity.

hm. I'd suggest to do this without changing request_irq() - and then we
could avoid the 'massive, every driver affected' change, right?

i.e. because we'll (have to) have an nr_to_desc() and desc_to_nr()
mapping facility anyway, lets just not change the driver APIs massively.
There dont seem to be that many drivers that assume that irq_desc[] is
an array - are there?

otherwise, in terms of the irqchips infrastructure and the API between
genirq and the irqchip arch-level drivers, this change makes quite a bit
of sense i think.

or am i missing something fundamental?

Ingo