RE: kernel porting query

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 04:33:16 EST

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 07:46 +0530, Rick Brown wrote:

Your quoting style sucks. I fixed it by hand.

[...]
> > 1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what are
> > differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?

> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:48 +0530, Ajay Singh (ajaysi) wrote:
> The differences depends on the boards ... Mostly if they belong to the
> same family the differences could be mainly in the peripherials ...
> Interrupt mappings... Serial interface ... Memory sizes (if differnet
> boards have different memory sizes) ... Sometimes some devices may be
> moved to some other locations in the memory map (Look at memory map of
> your SoC on your board).

You may have different boot loaders (or none at all).
You also may have different storage media like FlashRAM, IDE,
network, .... for boot loader/kernel/root filesystem. They may have
different sizes and it makes a "little" difference for your requirements
in the toolchain if you have 4MB or 1GB to boot your system from.

All that kind of information can be found in a BSP (board support
package).

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55