Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: v j
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 01:25:35 EST

It's written in black and white, in the license.

Please point me to where it says I cannot load proprietary modules in
the Kernel.

Apart from that,
Greg KH has made his opinion clear, and you have said you understand
and don't debate that he holds this opinion, and his code is what you
said you were linking to (the sysfs/class stuff), so why do you keep
saying that "it is not clear".

I know his opinion. I don't debate his opinion. It is his code. I
choose not to use his code because of the license issue.

Do you think that, somehow, Linus' opinion trumps Greg KH's opinion on
his own code?

No, just that the trend is disturbing. If enough Kernel Developers
choose to write their Software in a way that prevents others from
using it freely, then that is troubling. Especially when these Kernel
Developers are substituting existing interfaces in the Kernel with
ones that are NEW and require specific licenses.

vj.