Re: [patch 1/3] Input: psmouse - create PS/2 protocol options forKconfig

From: Andres Salomon
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 00:34:25 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2007 20:30, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:55:29 -0500
>> Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
>> Perhaps a nicer implementation would be to have a separate .c file for each
>> variant.
>>

> Having completely separate sub-drivers is very hard because of very delicate
> PS/2 protocol probing....
>
> What do you think about patch below? It somewhat reduces #ifdef clutter in main
> module moving it in .h files...

Normally, I'm a fan of that sort of thing. However, in this case, I
think it makes sense to have the #ifdefs right in the probe function; at
least for me, it makes it easier to understand what's going on. The
synaptics stuff is especially tricky; with a cursory glance over the
code, one might assume that all the synaptics functions disappear when
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS is unset. However, if the #ifdef's are in
the probe function, it's pretty clear that some synaptics functions
still get called even when CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS is unset.

Just my opinion, anyways.