Re: Linus' laptop and Num lock status

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 09:19:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Dax Kelson wrote:
Are there any technical or political reasons why kernel can't change
from "force off" to "Follow BIOS"?

How would you query it? I'm not even 100% sure that you can on all keyboards. We never query the leds, we always set them. I think. I don't know of any AT kbd command to read the led state out of the keyboard.

You can query the state of the keyboard according to BIOS by looking in byte 0x417 absolute, or by issuing int 0x16, ah = 0x02 (or ah = 0x12) from real mode.

-hpa