Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 02:33:17 EST

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:46:13PM -0800, v j wrote:
> You don't get it do you. Our source code is meaningless to the Open
> Source community at large.

Linux supports entire _architectures_ of which there are single figures
of people using it. What makes your hardware special ?

> We are only _using_ Linux.

If you're adding kernel modules, you're more than using Linux, you're
developing _for_ linux. You're just choosing to keep the fruits of
those labors to yourself.

> Just as we could have used VxWorks or OSE.

You could. But would you have had access to thousands of worldwide
contributors making your code better?
This is what you've missed out on with your current stance.

> Using our source code would not benefit anybody but
> our competitors.

This excuse has been given time and time again, and repeatedly been
proven false. And as soon as one of your competitors makes their
drivers open, guess which one gets 1000+ free developers working
on their code ?

> Sure we could make our drivers open-source. This is a
> decision that is made FIRST when evaluating an OS. If we we were
> required to make our drivers/HW open, we would just not have chosen
> Linux. It is as simple as that.

Please, revisit the 1990s. Read the cathedral and the bazaar.[1]
Listen to MC Hammer. Realise the funky horror. Then when you're ready
to revisit us with some points that haven't already been dismissed
please post again. Until then, you're offering nothing new.

Dave

[1] Jesus, I'm recommending ESR texts, I must be desperate.

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk