SATA-performance part 2

From: Martin A. Fink
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 04:12:00 EST

Dear all,

now I installed oprofile as suggested, and very interesting things happend:

System: OpenSuSE 10.2 with AHCI on, disk: Solid State Disk (Flash Disk)
Test: Write blocks of 1MB. Do fsync() every 1GB. Measure time for each GB.

before installation of oprofile:
test OpenSuSE 10.2 FreeBSD 6.2
write to raw device 25GB 26+/-1 MB/s at 4-10% CPU 48+/-0 MB/s at 1% CPU
write to ext3 2GB 39+/-5 MB/s at 10-15% CPU

after installation of oprofile:
test OpenSuSE 10.2 FreeBSD 6.2
write to raw device 25GB 48+/-0.5 MB/s at 4-10% CPU 49+/-0 MB/s at 1% CPU
write to ext3 (writeback) 2GB 40+/-5 MB/s at 10-15% CPU

after deinstallation of oprofile and only soft reboots (no hardware power off)
these values STAYED (linux 48 MB/s) !! even for a brand new installation of
OpenSuSE 10.2 to another partition!
After a hardware power off everything was again like before (26 MB/s).

So now the interesting questions to me are:

1. What is oprofile doing with my system ?? Especially what is been changed
that remains a reboot ??

2. Buffers: All those that told me, that linux raw devices are totally
unbuffered and thus are slower than devices with filesystems. Are you sure?
If yes, where do you think comes this increase of speed (26 to 48) ??

3. Advices using ext3 with writeback option: I do not see an increase of
performance with that.

Thanks,

Martin