Re: [patch 00/11] ANNOUNCE: "Syslets", generic asynchronous system call support

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 17:32:40 EST

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:26:26PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > really, what's the point behind aio_cancel()?
> >
> > The main use case is when you open a file requester on a network file
> > system where the server is down and you get tired of waiting and press
> > "Cancel" it should abort the hanging IO immediately.
>
> ok, that should work fine already - exit in the user context gets

That would be a little heavy handed. I wouldn't expect my GUI
program to quit itself on cancel. And requiring it to create a new
thread just to exit on cancel would be also nasty.

And of course you cannot interrupt blocked IOs this way right now
(currently it only works with signals in some cases on NFS)

-Andi