Re: Linux 2.6.19.2: maybe a bug inside the r8169 network driver (was Re: Linux 2.6.19.2: Freeze with CIFS mount)

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 15:33:54 EST

Eric Lacombe <tuxiko@xxxxxxx> :
[...]
> That problem also remind me that when I compiled this driver without
> the "CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET" (in the section "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)"), I have
> really poor performance with the net device. Maybe it is related, or not ;)
>
> If it gives you more ideas ?
> Maybe it could be interesting to know about the r8169 maintainer, but I dont
> know who he is.

1. $ ls
arch crypto include kernel mm scripts
block Documentation init lib net security
COPYING drivers ipc MAINTAINERS README sound
CREDITS fs Kbuild Makefile REPORTING-BUGS usr

The maintainer of the r8169 driver is listed in the MAINTAINERS file.

2. Disabling CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET is a bad idea. Don't do that.

3. See tethereal -w or tcpdump on the adequate interface to save a
traffic dump.

4. Are you using a binary module for your video adapter ?

5. How does the 2.6.20 version of the r8169 driver behave ?

6. You may setup a cron to monitor an ethtool dump of the register of
the 8169 at regular interval. ifconfig and /proc/interrupts could
exhibit some unusual drift as time passes on too.

7. A dmesg would be welcome.

8. Please open a PR at bugzilla.kernel.org.

|...]
> > There are various ways to analyze system hangs including (at least in some
> > cases) getting a system dump which
> > can be used to isolate the failing location - hopefully
>
> I would like to have more detailed help, if possible.

CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ is set. Check that the magic sysrq is not disabled at
runtime through /etc/sysctl.conf. See Documentation/sysrq.txt for details.

Please keep Steve French in the loop.

--
Ueimor