Re: /proc/sys/net/ipv[46]/conf/ issue unsolved

From: Hasso Tepper
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 15:16:48 EST

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > You can disable it in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/... and then
> > reenable it on the interfaces that you actually want.

And YOSHIFUJI Hideaki answered to this:

> The point is:
>
> - Until we have live address(es), we do not create inet6_dev{} for that
> device.
> - We do NOT run DAD until the link is ready (netif_carrier_ok()).
>
> This means, we do NOT have any addresses until the link is once up,
> and thus, because the sysctl entries live in inet6_dev{}, we do not
> install net.ipv6.conf.ethX from values of net.ipv6.conf.default until
> then.

Ie. to make it very clear - I can't reenable it on the interface before
the first "carrier up" event (cable is plugged on). That's the point -
AFAICS the only way I can configure interface differently than default is
via daemon listening interface events via netlink. I can't do it in any
way before.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper