Using kernel with modules for nics that cause errors.

From: Michael D. Setzer II
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 10:01:06 EST

Question on using modules with kernel.
I've been building the latest git kernels for the G4L project,
and the latest
kernels have added support for a lot of newer hardware, but
currently have
two of the nic drivers that cause problems when build into
the kernel.

DEPCA causes a kernel panic.
TLAN just stops during the boot.
Without these, the kernel boots fine. Unfortunately, I don't
have either of
these cards, so built it with these as modules, and put the
.ko files in the
/lib/modules/2.6.20 directory. Would the instructions for a
user that does
have one of these cards just to use insmod?

I generally have about 9000 downloads per month of the
project files, so
would assume that some users would have these cards.

Thanks.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC TOTAL CREDITS
SETI@HOME/EINSTEIN@HOME/ROSETTA@HOME
Total Credits 2732993.968392