Re: [ANNOUNCE] sparse-0.2-cl2 is now available

From: Christopher Li
Date: Sun Feb 11 2007 - 01:32:13 EST

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 05:50:15AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:

> I have some stuff in that direction, but it take some resurrecting...

OK, we should talk.

Here is what I have:

Linearize bytecode writer, which produce the binary linearized code.
The uncompress size is about 10 times the i386 .o file. I don't have
the loader ready to verify it yet. It is aim at fast loading bytecode
and simple, I havn't done much toward optimized the code size.

If we keep it 10 times over head, my home computer can load the full linux
kernel and have some spare for checking.

I am still working on the bytecode loader and linker for merging symbols.
It need to answer the question:

Which file define which function.
Which external symbol does this function use.

Once we get the function user/define chain, it can enable a lot of new checking.

The current linearized code is not very friendly to linking because we
keep abstract declare and real declare as different node. Depend on the
position, the caller will get different node even in one file.

I am going to take out the LKML on later email because discussion is
more sparse specific now.

Chris