Re: [patch] linux/io.h: forward declare struct pci_dev

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sun Feb 11 2007 - 01:27:23 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
I haven't looked at what causes it, but any leakage of pci details
into io.h is bogus. I'd suggest that the original submitter fixes
up that problem instead.

pci_iomap() depends on two things - PCI and iomap. AFAIK, there is no config to test whether the current arch supports iomap or not. Previously it worked because those archs which don't support either one doesn't have set CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP while not implementing arch-specific ones && not compiling any driver which uses the iomap interface. This is why pci_iomap() ended up in lib/iomap.c in the first place; otherwise, it cannot be conditionalized correctly as devers currently shows (the 'not implementing arch-specific ones' part cannot be easily tested).

So, it seems what we need is either 1. bogus iomap implementation for all archs or 2. CONFIG_IOMAP. Hmmm... I think CONFIG_IOMAP is better as it will allow leaving out related devres parts (or any generic function using iomap).

--
tejun