Re: [ck] Re: Swap prefetch merge plans

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 15:53:02 EST

On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:30, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:13:03 +0100
>
> jos poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Nick's comment, replying to me some time ago:
>
> I think I was thinking of this:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/6/509

Fortunately that predates a lot of changes where I did address all those.
These will seem out of context without looking at that original email so I
apologise in advance.

buffered_rmqueue and prefetching x86 specific (not into DMA) were dropped

It is NUMA aware

Global cacheline bouncing in page allocation and page reclaim paths I have no
answer for as I have to tell swap prefetch that the vm is busy somehow and I
do that by setting precisely one bit in a lockless manner.

The trylocks were dropped.

The other ideas were to :
-extend the prefetching. That's extra features
-knowing for sure when a system is really idle. I've tried hard to do that as
cheaply as possible.
-putting pages on the lru? well it puts them on the tail
-papering over an issue? As I said, no matter how good the vm is, there will
always be loads that swap.

--
-ck