Re: Swap prefetch merge plans

From: Andrew Burgess
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 14:00:55 EST

>I'm stuck developing code I'm having trouble proving it helps. Normal users
>find it helps and an artificial testcase shows it helps, but that is not
>enough, since the normal users will be tainted in their opinion, and the
>artificial testcase will always be artificial. My mistake of developing novel
>code in areas that were unquantifiable has been my undoing.

Could you add some statistics gathering to measure
cumulatively how long processes wait for swapin? Then you
could run with and without and maybe say "on average my
system waits 4 minutes a day without swap prefetch and 2
minutes with? Or if a simple sum doesn't work, some sort of
graph? Then anyone could run and measure the benefit.

Apologies if you've already thought of this...