Re: One-shot high-resolution POSIX timer periodically late

From: John
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 10:27:06 EST

Thomas Gleixner wrote:

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 11:25 +0100, John wrote:

Are there people that use the -rt patch set in real industrial applications?

Yes. But we use a stabilized version of 2.6.16-rt29.
http://www.osadl.org/projects/downloads/preempt-rt/linux-2.6.16/

Thanks for the pointer.

I'm confused: patch-2.6.16-rt29-tglx3 is dated 2006-09-07, yet there
have been numerous revisions of the -rt patch set since then. Does that
mean that no serious bugs have been found since September? Do the -rt
patch sets for 2.6.17 - 2.6.20 only bring new features and/or adapt the
-rt infrastructure to the newer kernels?

It seems that, if an important bug is found in the -rt part, I will have to either upgrade to the latest kernel, or back port all the -rt changes to the kernel I chose for my application?

Yep.

Ouch :-)

I think I'll try my luck with 2.6.20 (it's been working so far).

By the way, I have a question: when I compile glibc for this system,
should I compile it against the vanilla 2.6.20 includes, or against the
patched 2.6.20-rt includes?

Regards.