Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.21

From: James
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 07:48:25 EST

On 2/9/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:54:29 +0200 Lenar Lõhmus <lenar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > sched-add-above-background-load-function.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-vs-zvc-stuff.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-vs-zvc-stuff-2.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-use-ctl_unnumbered.patch
> > swap_prefetch-vs-zoned-counters.patch
> > add-include-linux-freezerh-and-move-definitions-from-prefetch.patch
> > zvc-support-nr_slab_reclaimable--nr_slab_unreclaimable-swap_prefetch.patch
> > reduce-max_nr_zones-swap_prefetch-remove-incorrect-use-of-zone_highmem.patch
> > sched-cleanup-remove-task_t-convert-to-struct-task_struct-prefetch.patch
> > numa-add-zone_to_nid-function-swap_prefetch.patch
> > remove-uses-of-kmem_cache_t-from-mm-and-include-linux-slabh-prefetch.patch
> >
> > Hold.
> Why hold?
>
> It's been shown this patchset really helps desktop users.

Has it? I don't think I've ever observed any benefits from it and I don't
think anyone has ever got down and worked out what its drawbacks might be,
and seen if they can be demonstrated in practice.

Plenty of people replied with positive reviews when it was posted
earlier. I'd expect that you'd have a fair bit of ram, so you're less
likely to observe any benefit, as you wouldnt be digging into swap as
often as those on lesser systems.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/23/25

I also have vague memories of some serious-sounding review comments about
the code from Nick.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/23/55

Could that be it? Maybe repoll Con on those.

> Why keep it in -mm for so long?

I'm waiting to be shown that its benefits exceed its costs. Sometimes
that's hard.

Con's patchset is used pretty widely now, with many distro's (Arch,
Mandriva, PCLinuxOS among others) providing prebuilt kernels and
nobody has reported any drawbacks. I don't think anyone in -mm has
reported any either.

James
--
iphitus // Arch Developer // kernel26beyond // iphitus.loudas.com