Re: [patch] export ufs_fs.h to userspace

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 15:21:41 EST

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:05:35PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > We should only export kernel interfaces and ufs_fs.h isn't one. silo
> > wants it because it defines the ufs format - but the linux structs for
> > that can and do change, e.g. adding unions when we add support for the
> > gazillion+1st ufs format variant. silo should just grab a copy of it
> > that it's happy with it and update it when it needs to support another
> > format variant (which I think is a rather theoretical issue as silo
> > only supports the solaris/sparc format IIR)
>
> seems logical to mean, thanks for the response

Btw, if you're interesting in helping out in this area a little bit,
it would be nice if we could split up and move ufs_fs.h a little bit.
We should have an:

fs/ufs/ufs.h for all driver internal declarations
fs/ufs/ufs_layout.h that purely defines the layout can can be copied
directly into other tools that need the ufs layout
like silo