Re: 2.6.20 BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 03:07:37 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The softlock detector has a long history of false positives and
> precious few true positives, in my experience.

hm, not so the latest & lamest in my experience. The commit that made it
quite robust was 6687a97d4041f996f725902d2990e5de6ef5cbe5, as of March
2006, and first showed up in 2.6.17. (OTOH, since the merge of lockdep
the main source of soft lockups in the field has been quite severely
reduced. Nevertheless it's still good to have it around, occasionally
there happen other types of soft lockups too, in open-coded loops, etc.)

Ingo