Re: Timeouts on ICH7 PATA drive with ata_piix; ide_generic worksperfectly

From: Keenan Pepper
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 17:59:15 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
* Does putting in a readable CD or DVD make any difference?

Yes, I ran for an hour with an audio CD in the drive and there were no timeouts.

* Does the problem occur in single mode where no HAL or whatever is running?

No, there were no timeouts in single mode even without a CD in the drive.

Auch, scrap the last paragraph. You actually did. Sorry about that. ;-)

Well, partly my fault for letting Gmail give it the wrong MIME type.
Should have made the filenames end in .txt.

I see your controller is ICH7 and the errors are over ten minutes apart.
It really seems that HAL, smartd, hddtemp or whatever is poking the dvd
writer and it isn't happy about it. In addition to the above questions,
you can read cd/dvd's using the drive, right?

Yes, the optical drive itself works great; I can even burn DVDs.

Keenan