Re: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5

From: Chr
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 07:35:26 EST

On Monday, 22. January 2007 03:39, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Chr wrote:
> > Ok, you won't believe this... I opened my case and rewired my drives...
> > And guess what, my second (aka the "good") HDD is now failing!
> > I guess, my mainboard has a (but maybe two, or three :( ) "bad" sata-port(s)!
>
> Or, you have power related problem. Try to rewire the power lines or
> connect harddrives to a separate powersupply. It's often useful to
> change one component at a time and watch which change the problem
> follows. Anyways, you seem to be suffering transmission failures, not a
> driver problem.
>
> Thanks.

Yes and no, it's probably not a power problem, I've tried another
PSU with the same result :( . Futhermore, the RAID0 setup makes
it impossible to try only one drive alone :(.

Anyway,the WD2500KS is known to have some strange bugs in the FW.
e.g.: It reports 255°C right after a cold start.
( http://www.bugtrack.almico.com/view.php?id=468 ).

Thanks,
Chr.