Re: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives (k8cpu errata needed?)

From: Chip Coldwell
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 14:50:23 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Chip Coldwell wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 07:31, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:52:32PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
I agree,... it seems drastic, but this is the only really secure
solution.

I'd like to here from Andi how he feels about this? It seems like a
somewhat drastic solution in some ways given a lot of hardware doesn't
seem to be affected (or maybe in those cases it's just really hard to
hit, I don't know).

AMD is looking at the issue. Only Nvidia chipsets seem to be affected,
although there were similar problems on VIA in the past too.
Unless a good workaround comes around soon I'll probably default
to iommu=soft on Nvidia.

We've just verified that configuring the graphics aperture to be
write-combining instead of write-back using an MTRR also solves the
problem. It appears to be a cache incoherency issue in the graphics
aperture.

I take it back. Further testing has revealed that this does not solve
the problem.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell