Re: [RFC] Heads up on a series of AIO patchsets

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Dec 27 2006 - 12:22:26 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > unified event system for Linux we need people to help out with
> > straightening out these even provides as Evgeny seems to be
> > unwilling/unable to do the work himself and the duplication is
> > simply not acceptable.
>
> yeah. The internal machinery should be as unified as possible - but
> different sets of APIs can be offered, to make it easy for people to
> extend their existing apps in the most straightforward way.

just to expand on this: i dont think this should be an impediment to the
POSIX AIO patches. We should get some movement into this and should give
the capability to glibc and applications. Kernel-internal unification is
something we are pretty good at doing after the fact. (and if any of the
APIs dies or gets very uncommon we know in which direction to unify)

Ingo