Backlight bright-up causes X to restart after HP laptop BIOSupgrade

From: Javier Kohen
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 20:23:42 EST

I own a HP dv8301nr notebook. It has an AMD64 CPU (running a 32-bit
Debian), ATI chipset and ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 graphic card. I'm
running an untainted Linux 2.6.19-ck2. X.org is using the open-source
ATI driver.

I upgraded the laptop's BIOS to version F.52 earlier today. Since then
X.org started shutting down every time upon pressing the bright-up key.
Also, the kernel started printing "video device notify" on bright-down
and that same line followed by "set_level status: 0" on bright-up. I
adjust the backlight frequently, so I know for a fact that this was
working yesterday before the BIOS upgrade.

Some relevant parts of my kernel config:
CONFIG_FB=m
# CONFIG_FB_* is not set, not even the Radeon one
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=m
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE=m
CONFIG_LCD_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_PM_LEGACY=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=m
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER is not set

Module Size Used by
binfmt_misc 7624 1
af_packet 10824 2
ipv6 189728 12
video 13252 0
button 4880 0
ac 3524 0
battery 7940 0
realtime 3720 0
commoncap 4864 1 realtime
ext2 42248 1
snd_seq_dummy 2564 0
snd_seq_oss 24896 0
snd_seq_midi 5792 0
snd_rawmidi 16352 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 5312 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 37584 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 5836 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
cpufreq_ondemand 5696 1
cpufreq_conservative 5280 0
cpufreq_powersave 1472 0
powernow_k8 8396 0
freq_table 3268 2 cpufreq_ondemand,powernow_k8
snd_atiixp 13516 1
snd_atiixp_modem 10568 5
snd_ac97_codec 84644 2 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem
snd_ac97_bus 1856 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 31968 0
snd_mixer_oss 12800 1 snd_pcm_oss
bcm43xx 401504 0
snd_pcm 51912 6
snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
ieee80211softmac 22272 1 bcm43xx
snd_timer 15428 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
tifm_7xx1 5056 0
tifm_core 5776 1 tifm_7xx1
snd 37732 21
snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
yenta_socket 21068 0
rsrc_nonstatic 8256 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 28688 2 yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
ieee80211 24968 2 bcm43xx,ieee80211softmac
ieee80211_crypt 4032 1 ieee80211
k8temp 4032 0
psmouse 30920 0
soundcore 5344 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 6920 3 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_pcm
evdev 6912 2
pcspkr 2176 0
dm_mirror 14096 0
dm_snapshot 12320 0
dm_mod 39832 9 dm_mirror,dm_snapshot
8139cp 15552 0
ide_cd 31456 0
cdrom 30112 1 ide_cd
ide_disk 11840 3
8139too 18688 0
mii 4224 2 8139cp,8139too
crc32 3904 2 8139cp,8139too
ohci1394 26928 0
ieee1394 72184 1 ohci1394
atiixp 4496 0 [permanent]
ide_core 93212 3 ide_cd,ide_disk,atiixp
ehci_hcd 23624 0
ohci_hcd 15428 0
usbcore 99716 3 ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
thermal 10952 0
processor 18348 2 powernow_k8,thermal
fan 3332 0

Although the lcd and backlight modules are not loaded, loading them at
one point didn't seem to help.

I noticed the following change in the ACPI table as reported during the
boot-up sequence. Other than this, I've noticed no other changes:
ACPI: RSDP (v000 PTLTD ) @ 0x000f7c20
-ACPI: RSDT (v001 PTLTD RSDT 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000) @
0x3fea4598
+ACPI: RSDT (v001 PTLTD RSDT 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000) @
0x3fea3f15
ACPI: FADT (v001 HP Piranha 0x06040000 ATI 0x000f4240) @
0x3feabe3b
ACPI: SSDT (v001 PTLTD POWERNOW 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000001) @
0x3feabeaf
ACPI: MADT (v001 PTLTD APIC 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000) @
0x3feabf7e-ACPI: MCFG (v001 PTLTD MCFG 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000)
@ 0x3feabfc4
+ACPI: MCFG (v001 HP PORSCHE 0x06040000 LOHR 0x00000000) @
0x3feabfc4
ACPI: DSDT (v001 HP 309B 0x06040000 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x00000000

Don't hesitate to ask me for anything that could help track this
problem. Please honor the Reply-To header, as I'm not subscribed to this
list.

PS: I upgraded the BIOS, as the new version is supposed to include some
keyboard/mousepad-related fixes for Vista. Since then I haven't
experienced any of the Synaptics mousepad hick-ups that had been driving
me nuts.

Thanks for your time,
--
Javier Kohen <jkohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>