Re: 2.6.19 file content corruption on ext3

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 07:06:52 EST

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:13:18 +0200
Andrei Popa <andrei.popa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> I had filesystem data corruption with rtorrent with 2.6.19.
> I tried recent git with Peter Zijlstra patch
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/16/144 and it seems that the problem is
> fixed.

oh crap, I'd forgotten that test_clear_page_dirty() now fiddles with the
ptes.

I'd be really surprised if this was all due to a race though. Is everyone
who has observed this problem running SMP and/or premptible kernels?

Peter, why isn't that proposed patch's cleaning of the pte racy against
do_wp_page()?