Re: [RFC] Include ACPI DSDT from INITRD patch into mainline

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Dec 02 2006 - 02:50:35 EST

> Providing object files for on-demand relinking of the kernel just adds a
> shit load of overhead. If you're suggesting modifying vmlinuz in place
> instead, that just seems really undesirable. Last thing I want is
> something mucking with the kernel binary.

... while randomly mucking with the bios content is something you do
want? While it's already *running* ? How much do you trust the end user
to himself randomly edit the AML code to force it to compile (usually
it's not more than that)?

> It's easier for me to keep this patch in my tree, especially since most
> users have come to expect this as the "standard" method for inserting
> their DSDT replacement.

now here's another question... the ACPI layer got improved over the last
18 months bigtime to behave more like windows in many ways. How much of
this is still really needed?

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org