Re: [patch 1/4] - Potential performance bottleneck for Linxu TCP

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 15:56:02 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...] Instead what i'd like to see is more TCP performance (and a
> nicer over-the-wire behavior - no retransmits for example) /with the
> same 10% CPU time used/. Are we in rough agreement?

put in another way: i'd like to see the "TCP bytes transferred per CPU
time spent by the TCP stack" ratio to be maximized in a load-independent
way (part of which is the sender host too: to not cause unnecessary
retransmits is important as well). In a high-load scenario this means
that any measure that purely improves TCP throughput by giving it more
cycles is not a real improvement. So the focus should be on throttling
intelligently and without causing extra work on the sender side either -
not on trying to circumvent throttling measures.

Ingo