Re: kswapd/tg3 issue

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 10:45:54 EST

Alan wrote:
Under heavy network or I/O pressure it may not have time to swap to get
the memory. Thus adding swap won't usually help. Adding RAM may do but
its often not the best answer. Arjan's suggestion should sort it, and -
yes typically boxes with very high I/O and network load need more of a
pool of memory free for immediate use than other systems.

It could be nice if the kernel could autotune this, for example by raising the free memory goal when memory shortage is detected, and lowering it gradually when not.

The sysctl could be a minimum from which this is calculated.