Re: CPUFREQ-CPUHOTPLUG: Possible circular locking dependency

From: Gautham R Shenoy
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 03:52:22 EST

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 09:29:34AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Gautham R Shenoy <ego@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I see that we are already doing it :(. So we can end up in a
> > deadlock.
> >
> > Here's the culprit callpath:
>
> in general lockdep is 100% correct when it comes to "individual locks".
> The overwhelming majority of lockdep false-positives is not due to
> lockdep not getting the dependencies right, but due to the "lock class"
> not being correctly identified. That's not an issue here i think.

You're right. That's not the issue.

> what lockdep does is it observes actual locking dependencies as they
> happen individually in various contexts, and then 'completes' the
> dependency graph by combining all the possible scenarios how contexts
> might preempt each other. So if lockdep sees independent dependencies
> and concludes that they are circular, there's nothing that saves us from
> the deadlock.

Ah! I get it now. I had taken neither preemption nor the SMP scenario
into account before concluding that the warning might be a false
positive.

All I need to do is to run my test cases on a preemptible kernel
or in parallel on a smp box. It'll definitely deadlock there!

> The only way for those dependencies to /never/ trigger simultaneously on
> different CPUs would be via the use of a further 'outer' exclusion
> mechanism (i.e. a lock) - but all explicit kernel-API exclusion
> mechanisms are tracked by lockdep => Q.E.D. (Open-coded exclusion might
> escape the attention of lockdep, but those are extremely rare and are
> also easily found.)

Thanks for making it clear :-)

> Ingo

regards