Re: Boot failure with ext2 and initrds

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 04:40:38 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:20:24 +0000
Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I'm looking for is confirmation of the semantics of
> find_next_zero_bit()

What are the existing semantics? I see no documentation in any of the
architectures I've looked at. That's my point.

>From a quick read of fs/ext2/balloc.c

ext2_find_next_zero_bit(base, size, offset)

appears to expect that base is the start of the memory buffer, size is the
number of bits at *base and offset is the bit at which to start the search,
relative to base. If a zero bit is found it will return the offset of that
bit relative to base. It will return some number greater than `size' if no
zero-bit was found.

Whether that's how all the implementors interpreted it is anyone's guess.
Presumably the architectures all do roughly the same thing.

> <extremely frustrated>

Well likewise. It appears that nobody (and about 20 people have
implemented these things) could be bothered getting off ass and documenting
the pathetic thing.