Re: [patch 2.6.19-rc6] Stop gcc 4.1.0 optimizing wait_hpet_tickaway

From: Nicholas Miell
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 23:58:18 EST

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 15:30 +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
> David Miller (on Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:04:53 -0800 (PST)) wrote:
> >From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:56:20 +1100
> >
> >> Secondly, I believe that this is a separate problem from bug 22278.
> >> hpet_readl() is correctly using volatile internally, but its result is
> >> being assigned to a pair of normal integers (not declared as volatile).
> >> In the context of wait_hpet_tick, all the variables are unqualified so
> >> gcc is allowed to optimize the comparison away.
> >>
> >> The same problem may exist in other parts of arch/i386/kernel/time_hpet.c,
> >> where the return value from hpet_readl() is assigned to a normal
> >> variable. Nothing in the C standard says that those unqualified
> >> variables should be magically treated as volatile, just because the
> >> original code that extracted the value used volatile. IOW, time_hpet.c
> >> needs to declare any variables that hold the result of hpet_readl() as
> >> being volatile variables.
> >
> >I disagree with this.
> >
> >readl() returns values from an opaque source, and it is declared
> >as such to show this to GCC. It's like a function that GCC
> >cannot see the implementation of, which it cannot determine
> >anything about wrt. return values.
> >
> >The volatile'ness does not simply disappear the moment you
> >assign the result to some local variable which is not volatile.
> >
> >Half of our drivers would break if this were true.
>
> This is definitely a gcc bug, 4.1.0 is doing something weird. Compile
> with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=n and the bug appears,
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y has no problem.
>
> Compile with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=n and _either_ of the patches
> below and the problem disappears.

My theory: gcc is inlining readl into hpet_readl (readl is an inline
function, so it should be doing this no matter what), and inlining
hpet_readl into wait_hpet_tick (otherwise, it can't possibly make any
assumptions about the return values of hpet_readl -- this looks to be a
SUSE-specific over-aggressive optimization), and somewhere along the way
the volatile qualifier is getting lost.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell@xxxxxxxxxxx>