Re: autoconf.h and auto.conf missing

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 06:20:19 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> It seems that someone has broken *conf programs in 2.6.18 because

Unmodified 2.6.18?

> only "make silentoldconfig" recreates autoconf.h and auto.conf
> properly after configuration (.config) has changed.

That's correct. The other config targets only touch the .config file and a
dependency on it regenerates all other build relevant files (by calling
silentoldconfig).

> I do everything as I always have done.
> 1. create an empty dir and put my current .config there
> 2. make O=dir oldconfig
> 3. compile, everything seems to be OK here
> 4. do some changes to .config and make oldconfig once again
> BZZZZZT
> 5. auto.conf and autoconf.h don't change along with .config and when
> I build the kernel once again new settings don't take effect.
>
> I discovered I have to make silentoldconfig to regenerate autoconf
> files. However, this *seems* to force rebuilding of all the objects
> instead of, what it has always done, only those that depend on
> altered configurations.

I cannot reproduce this, you have to provide some more detailed
information, e.g. please send your original .config and what exactly you
changed there.

bye, Roman