Re: Allow turning off hpa-checking.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 04:52:06 EST

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:59:40PM +0000, Alan wrote:
size remains still constant, and the exceeding damaged sectors are auto-"hidden" by the drive by means of HPA.
Still incorrect?
Still incorrect. HPA has nothing to do with damaged sectors. The damaged
sectors are replaced from a pool of sectors that are reserved for this
purpose.

Please re-read my previous mail. I *explicitly* wrote that
I'm talking about drives, whose "reserved pool of extra/spare
sectors" was already exhausted.

Considering that: still incorrect?

Yeap, if the drive has run out of spare sectors, bad sectors will no longer get better after being written to. The drive will *never* *ever* get shorter.

--
tejun