Re: [Patch 3/7] driver core fixes: device_register() retval checkin platform.c

From: Cornelia Huck
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 06:47:49 EST

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:24:47 +0000,
Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I still say this is absolutely crazy. If a bus does not get registered,
> what happens to all the devices and drivers which are registered against
> that bus?

This is a generic problem. Does any driver check if the bus it is
registering against is really present? Or should the driver core check
whether a bus is registered when someone tries to register a
device/driver?

> I suspect that if this bus_register doesn't work, you'll see an oops
> sooner or later. So it might as well be a BUG_ON here.

What we need to do here is to make sure we get to know that something
went really wrong here. If a BUG_ON is considered preferrable to oopses
on platform device registering, I can roll a patch.

--
Cornelia Huck
Linux for zSeries Developer